Joining a Fraternity is a life-changing experience; almost no where else can you find the combination of professional / leadership development, scholastic focus, service, and brotherhood all in the same organization. However, there are several questions that we receive both from men seeking to join and others who are just curious about some of the aspects of our fraternity. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions, and if you can’t find your answer here, please contact us!
Q: What is a Fraternity?
A: While hard to completely sum up in a short paragraph, generally a greek letter fraternity or sorority is a group of men or women who have committed themselves to each other based on common values or a common purpose. The main difference between a fraternity or sorority and most other organizations on campus is a ritual used to represent these values and guide the members of the organization in their daily lives.
Q: What is it exactly that you DO in a Fraternity?
A: Our fraternity is a way for college-aged males to surround themselves with positive peer-pressure. We participate in a wide range of activities that focus on high scholastic achievement, extending a helping hand to our community, growing and maturing as leaders, and extending our network of friends. This ranges from study hour programs, to numerous philanthropy events, to being top leaders in campus organizations, and social events such as homecoming. Feel free to look through our pictures to see us in action!
Q: What is the “Ritual” thing all about?
A: The ritual is what separates a fraternity from other campus organizations. It is the reason we were founded; it is the set of values that helps guide us through our collegiate experience.
Q: Is it expensive? If I join, do I have to live in the house?
A: All of the information regarding finances can be found on the finance page for your convenience, and you’ll notice that you’ll save a lot of money if you live in Theta Chi vs. On Campus living.
Q: What are some of the requirements to be a member? What’s the Time
A: To be a member, we require at least a 2.5 grade point average, and at least 15 hours of community service per semester. We have weekly meetings every Monday night at 7PM, which usually last about an hour. Throughout the semester, we have numerous other events which you can attend. Most people find themselves participating in our events because they enjoy spending their time with each other and doing all the different activities.
Q: What sets Theta Chi apart from the other fraternities?
A: The Things you should be looking for as you compare different fraternities on campus are:
- Their Chapter G.P.A, along with scholarship programming
- Their Level of Involvement on Campus
- Their Requirements for membership
- Their Chapter Size
- Their Values, and the character of the men in that chapter
- Their Recognition for excellence, both on a local and national level
- Their Dues and Fees, as well as time commitments
- Their Housing Arrangements
- Their Meal Plan and other services
- How Membership will benefit you in your life
This information may help you decide which fraternity is the best fit for you. We encourage you to learn more about Theta Chi through our website, attending Rush Week, or just by stopping by and/or contacting us. Here are some other quick facts about Phi Chapter:
- Phi Chapter has initiated over 2000 men since 1917
- The Fraternity’s cardinal principles are True Friendship, Loyalty to Alma Mater and the Mutual Benefit and Improvement of its Members
- Phi Chapter has won the Howard R. Alter Jr. Award, the highest honor a chapter of Theta Chi can receive, 11 times
- Theta Chi has been recognized by Fargo for their service in the flood fight of 2010
- Theta Chi has won the SPAM (Spirit, Pep, And Motivation) award from Blue Key Honor Society several times